Welcome to West Virginia Association of School Nurses
West Virginia Association of School Nurses, Inc. is a specialty nursing organization devoted exclusively to meeting the needs of school nurses and the children that school nurses serve. WVASN has a membership of over 200 school nurses and friends of school nurses.
Message From the President
Dear WVASN Members,
West Virginia School Nurses are experiencing so many changes to our daily practice. There have been days that I have felt like I was living a bad dream. It is hard for me to remember what a “normal” day was like prior to March 13, 2020. Even though we have all experienced stressful days and sleepless nights, we continue on. I want to personally thank you for all you do every day to ensure that the students of West Virginia are provided the best care in a safe learning environment.
The 2020 WVASN Fall Conference was cancelled due to the pandemic. The 2021Conference has been scheduled for November 4,5 and 6, 2021 @ Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center. Due to the conference being cancelled, we will be holding our annual general business meeting on November 11, 2020 @ 9:00am, via zoom. Please make every effort to attend. We will conduct our regular business which will include the election of a new treasurer. You may find the link to the meeting in the Fall newsletter.
WVASN has recently became an organization affiliate partner with West Virginia Nurses Association (WVNA). One of the benefits of being a partner is having communication with the WVNA Health Policy and Legislative Committee. It is our hope this will provide us additional leverage in achieving our goal of one certified registered school nurse for every school.
WVASN welcomes Don Springer as a co-chairperson to the Government-Relations Committee. Don is a Kanawha County school nurse and will be collaborating with retired school nurse Brenda Isaac before taking over the reins in 2021.
I would like to thank WV House of Delegates Majority Leader Amy Summers, RN, BSN, WV House of Delegates member Heather Tully, APRN, FNP-BC, and WVNA for assisting WV school nurses in obtaining additional PPE equipment. They provided a quick response to our needs that we had voiced on the weekly forum held by the WVNA.
During this difficult time in our school nurse careers, please know that the WVASN officers and board are here to support you in every way. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to us. I pray you and your family have a safe and healthy school year!
WVASN Fall Conference
Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center
Davis, West Virginia
We are so excited for all the great educational opportunities; after all, WVASN Fall Conference is the only conference in the state dedicated solely to the school nurse.
Some important things that you need to know:
1. There are two registration options. Deadline to register: October 20, 2021
a. Full conference – Thursday thru Saturday.
b. Saturday Only – For the first time LPN’s are able to attend on Saturday only. They will receive CEU’s to be applied to renewal of licensure.
You can register three ways: online at WVASN.org, via mail or by email. See registration forms for further information. You can also pay four ways: paypal or check, purchase order, via credit card at conference.
ALL REGISTRATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
(If conference has to be cancelled due to COVID, registration fees will be refunded)
2. New school nurse workshop preconference – November 4, 9:00-3:00.
3. Friday, November 5 – Award Luncheon and General Business Meeting.
4. Friday Night (6:30-9:30) – Food, Entertainment and Networking –This will be in the resort lounge with special entertainment. Cost is $15.00. You will pay when you check-in at conference. Please indicate on the registration form if you plan to attend. Hope everyone comes out for great food and fun.
5. Lodging information:
Conference room rate is $89.00 + taxes and fees. You must book your room before October 4,2021 to guarantee a room. Here is the booking link. Group Code is – 100836. Use this code if you want to call to make a reservation or if you wait until after October 4 to make your room reservation. Call this number 304-866-4121.
6. Breakfast is not included with room or conference fees. Each room has coffeemaker, coffee, refrigerator, and microwave. There is also a restaurant and café on site. Please plan accordingly.
7. We are asking that each county bring a Basket, etc. for the raffle table. This is a great opportunity to support WVASN.
8. Cranberry Prosperity School will be with us again this year with shirts and novelties designed especially for school nurses.
9. Friday luncheon menu – Caprese Stuffed Chicken or Grilled Salmon, Mixed green salad, Fully loaded smashed potatoes, Mixed seasonal vegetables, and Dessert
Saturday Lunch menu – Soup, Salad, and Sandwich buffet.
If you have questions about conference, please contact Lydia Gordon, conference chairman, firstname.lastname@example.org. All conference center forms should be submitted to Susan Haslebacher at email@example.com.